The ability to read and write, and understand information, can affect your job chances. If you have low literacy and numeracy, you can get help and improve your future prospects.
What does literacy and numeracy mean?
- Literacy is the ability to read and write, but also includes skills like critical thinking, listening, speaking, viewing and presenting.
- Numeracy is being at home with numbers, and knowing the smartest way to solve mathematical problems.
How important are literacy and numeracy skills?
- Workforce literacy is one of the key skill shortages facing the Nigeria workforce
- An estimated 73% of Nigerians have difficulty with the literacy demands of their job. An estimated 51% of adult workers have low numeracy.
- According to a recent survey of employers, literacy and numeracy are ranked in the top three skills that employers look for in an employee.
What literacy and numeracy skills are needed at work?
Though the level of literacy and numeracy skills can vary by workplace, most jobs require some ability in these areas.
Below are examples of how literacy and numeracy skills are used in the workplace:
- Filling out forms.
- Writing emails.
- Taking notes.
- Typing reports.
- Reading labels and instructions.
- Understanding health and safety procedures.
- Viewing web pages.
- Reading contracts.
- Participating in team meetings.
- Addressing a group.
- Answering questions at job interviews.
- Giving presentations.
- Counting quantities for a customer.
- Using percentages and subtraction to give a discount.
- Rounding numbers and estimating when writing a quote .
- Using division when calculating costs per head.
- Measuring an area of warehouse space.
- Calculating fuel consumption.
- Interpreting maps and plans.
- Calculating diameters.
- Understanding tables in reports.
- Interpreting graphs.
- Literacy requirements for different jobs – find more specific information about literacy requirements for some jobs
Improving your literacy and numeracy skills in Nigeria
While there are no known facilities for special courses on literacy and numeracy skills in workplaces and life in general, EmployMe Nigeria is working with some partners and a few training outfit for specialized weekday and weekend courses on these set of skills.
For details email; email@example.com or call +234 708 555 6666